Follow these tips for buying your summer flip-flops to avoid injury, pain and permanent damage to your feet (adapted from the American Podiatric Medical Association).
- You should not be able to bend or twist your flip-flops
- They should only bend at the toe
- Look for arch support which improves stability and cushions the feet
- Flip-flops made of cheap plastic often cause blisters; choose leather or fabric instead
- Ensure your toes do not hang over the edge as this can cause tripping
- Don’t wear your favourite pair year after year, check for wear and tear and discard
- Poorly fitting flip-flops encourage clawing of the toes and ankle injury
- Do not wear them for gardening, sports or walking long distances
- Do wear sturdy flip-flops around the pool or on the beach
If you follow these simple tips, you can still enjoy wearing your flip-flops this summer
I recommend and stock Orthaheel (Vasyli) flip-flops. Please contact me for more details.
Lorna Pullman – Foot Health Practitioner tel: 07860 927958